Halloween Noodles Sensory Activity
- Spaghetti noodles
- Green, red and yellow food coloring
- Two bowls
- Halloween small toys, bugs, spiders, etc.
- Oil spray
- Bin or container for sensory play
- Gloves (for mixing the coloring)
Children who are beginning sensory messy play should never be forced to touch the spaghetti. Start with tools such as tongs to pick out the bugs and eyeballs. Encourage fun while playing by listening to spooky music and taking turns with other children. Read more about sensory processing in our earlier post here.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Leave it a little more al dente so that it isn’t overly squishy when played with. Strain with cold water to cool it down quickly and separate the pieces.
- Spray the spaghetti noodles with oil spray to keep them from sticking together.
- Separate the noodles into two separate bowls.
- Add green food coloring to one bowl and mix well. You can keep adding drops of food coloring to make sure you cover all the noodles. Mix well. You may want to wear gloves at this point, but once the spaghetti sits for a bit, it will not leave food coloring on your hands.
- Add equal amounts of red and yellow food coloring to the other bowl of noodles and mix well to get an orange color. Again, you can wear gloves during the initial mixing if desired.
- Let the noodles sit for half an hour or so, and then they will be able to be played with without adding color to your hands.
- Add in the small Halloween themed toys such as bugs, spiders, eyeballs, etc.
We have had SO much fun with this activity and I’d recommend using different food colors, adding different types of Halloween or even fall items. Send us your pictures and we may use them in a future blog post!
Join our newsletter.……each month my subscribers receive FREE seasonal activities.